Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Sermon - Lent: money and love


            As I started working on today’s scripture, I just couldn’t help but think of the Beatles song – Can’t buy me Love – the lyrics go like this:

Can't buy me love
I'll buy you a diamond ring my friend if it makes you feel alright
I'll get you anything my friend if it makes you feel alright
Cos I don't care too much for money, and money can't buy me love
I'll give you all I got to give if you say you'll love me too
I may not have a lot to give but what I got I'll give to you
I don't care too much for money, money can't buy me love
Can’t buy me love. 
Today’s story of Mary pouring costly ointment on Jesus’ feet is definitely a story of love.  And Judas’ response is definitely one of money.  Judas responds to this lavish gift of love from Mary to Jesus as a crime.  He tries to be the good disciple here, he tries to connect this action to the ministry that Jesus has called them to do.  They are supposed to care for others, pool their resources, make sure the widows and the orphans are fed.  This resource that Mary has just poured out upon Jesus’ feet is now wasted.  Think about all the people it could have helped if it had been sold.  Judas tries to be a good disciple. 
            I have found myself making such statements myself.  When I see money used, in what in my opinion, is not the best form of stewardship, I find myself thinking – wow, that could have fed a whole lot of people.  Churches all around the world are adorned with costly stained glass windows, gold objects, costly gems, ornate stone and wood workings, and the cost to maintain them is staggering.  Where do we draw the line?  Where do we lavish our love towards God on costly worship?  And when do we lavish our love for God on our care for others?  Judas tries to be the good disciple here although the text tells us he was stealing from the disciples treasure, so maybe he did only have self interest at hand, but he also shames Mary and her love for Jesus through his statement.
            Mary has been a faithful friend of Jesus throughout his ministry and just recently, he returned to their home when her brother Lazarus died.  Jesus calls out to Lazarus and Lazarus rises from the dead.  Mary has witnessed an amazing miracle in and through Jesus.  Her life has been deeply touched by Jesus.  Jesus is so much more than a friend to her, she has seen God’s very presence in him and Mary knows no other way to say Thank You – If Jesus had restored life to one of my family members, then I might want to lavish a gift upon him too.  How do we say thank you when someone donates an organ, or is able to give bone marrow, or serves as a surrogate?  How do we say thank you when someone changes our life for the better?  How do we say thank you when we see the very presence of God in our midst? 
I'll give you all I got to give if you say you'll love me too
I may not have a lot to give but what I got I'll give to you
Mary knows that money does not buy love, she knows that her actions are not buying Jesus’ love for her, she just has no other way to say thank you, she has no other way than to show her abundant love for him.  Sometimes the heart just swells so greatly with gratitude and love that we just act.  Maybe she thought about what she was going to do the next time she saw him, maybe she didn’t.  Maybe when he arrived she just acted and with what little she had to give, she gave what meant the most. 
So, the reason this is a Lenten text involves Jesus’ response to Judas, that she is preparing him for his burial.  As we know in the Easter morning scripture readings, the women go to the tomb to anoint Jesus’ body with oils and spices for preparation for his burial.  He was just temporarily laid in the tomb until the time for his burial.  And so when Jesus visits the house of Mary and Martha, he knows he is moving closer and closer to his final days on earth.  He takes this outpouring of love to illustrate to those gathered with him that he will soon die.  Whether they understand this or not, he seeks to continue to prepare them.  Her action of love will soon be reflected by his action of love - I'll give you all I got to give if you say you'll love me too
I may not have a lot to give but what I got I'll give to you
And his response is yes, yes, I’ll love you too.  I’ll love you not in the earthly form of love, but I’ll love you with deep spiritual love, love that knows no bounds, love that will transcend this life and remain with you forever.  Just as the nard was a fragrant gift of love, Jesus too is referred to as a fragrant offering.  Not a sacrifice given out of guilt or shame or wrong doing, but a true offering of pure love. 


No comments:

Post a Comment