Monday, February 15, 2016

sermon - Lent week 1

Fast and Feast


            Today, we enter the Lenten season with the traditional reading of Jesus going into the wilderness, fasting for forty days and then facing three temptations.  Lent was not really something I practiced as a child.  My friends did, and I remember the things they gave up during this season, mostly it was chocolate or soda.  I was curious as to why my friends did this practice, and in the basic understanding of a middle school youth, my best friend explained, well – Jesus made a sacrifice by giving his life for us, so we give up something that reminds us of this sacrifice.  As I’ve grown older, I have grown to know and understand Lent more of the fast before the feast.  Easter and Christmas are the two big feasts of the church and so each are marked by special times prior for the fast. 
            Giving something up for Lent is more a practice of fasting before the feast.  Jesus was baptized by John, filled with the Holy Spirit and then went into the wilderness for forty days where he fasted.  Why does Jesus fast for forty days?  Whenever we see the number forty in our scriptures, God is working with God’s people to transform them and reshape them.  For forty days, Jesus fasts prior to starting his earthly ministry.  Even the Messiah, even Emmanuel God with us, centers himself for forty days so that he is ready to enter into his calling, his true purpose of speaking God’s word to others. 
            If we chose to give something up for Lent, if we choose to enter into the fast, it should be done not just as the practice of giving something up, but rather, as a spiritual practice, as a way to reconnect with God in a deeper way.  I for one, have never been very good at fasting before the feast.  I think, on the other hand, that I have been good at fasting after the feast, and this has been far from a spiritual practice.  I remember when I was first starting in ministry, as I began purchasing furniture for my condo, I found myself overspending a bit, I put myself on restriction, no extras until I paid off my credit card.  Instead of saving up first, and being able to pay for things up front, I fell into the pattern of using my credit card and spending first, then paying things off.  First the feast, then the fast.  Credit cards make it very easy to do this.  Thankfully, I’ve been able to change my spending habits and start saving first, then purchasing the item that I need.   But we do live in a culture of debt, and that can have a spiritual impact on people. 
            Fasting and feasting, I think we get the feasting really well.  We jump from feast to feast to feast, whether they are religious or just celebrations.  I think I might still have some Halloween candy floating around my house.  I usually cleanse it all out before Easter, when once again, our house seems to refill itself with candy.  Today is another one of those days, Valentine’s day, where we indulge in chocolate and other treats. 
            Jesus fasts for forty days, he sets aside a specific amount of time to center himself in the sacred.  I’ve been leaning more and more towards the practice of adding something into our lives during Lent.  Adding a spiritual practice, adding more time of prayer, or study, finding a book with religious overtones, something that gives this period of time meaning and purpose as we move towards Easter.  One year, I taught myself to knit and did prayer shawls for the Lenten season.  Last year, I joined an online study group where we worked through a book on using art as a religious practice.  I’m thinking about redoing this study this year, since I found it very meaningful and deeply spiritual. 
            On Wednesday night, I shared a devotion I came across, that shared deep within human rituals is a yearning for the sacred.  If you choose to participate in a Lenten feast, or a Lenten spiritual practice, don’t do it just to do it, but ask yourself what is the deeper underlying connection that it is calling you to.  For some, the deeper meaning of Lent is a focus on Jesus’ sacrifice for us.  For other’s it is a calling to grow more spiritually connected to God.  For others, it is a time to ponder our mortality, and the gift of eternal life given to us through the resurrection.  For others, it is an understanding of God’s deep love for us, and making an effort as a person, to participate in that love.  For the early church, Lent was the time set aside for new Christians to learn about the faith and to be prepared for their baptism on Easter Sunday.  I like the understanding that Lent is a spiritual spring, a renewing of our faith, of our connection to the divine.  The art practice that I used last year, helps identify the places in our lives where we might feel stuck, and opens us up to God’s creativity and how God places creativity within us.  In and through creativity, we can break out of old patterns and move ourselves into new places. 
            Deep in every human heart is longing for relationship with the eternal. Deep in every human ritual is the expression of that longing. Connect to the longing of your people, the ways in which longing is expressed, and the worship rituals of your community.  In this season of Lent, what longing is there within you and within this faith community and can we use this time to name that longing, to pray for God’s participation within it, and move ourselves into God’s future.      
(Excerpts from Marjorie Thompson's book:  Soul Feast - chapter on Fasting)

  

No comments:

Post a Comment